Sunday, January 31, 2010

Keeping up with the Jones

You know.....I am so tired of keeping up with the Jones. First off, why do I think I need to be a Jones? I am only 28 years old, and have more than a lot of people my age. We are in the military, and I am a stay at home mom, and we still seem to live a privileged life!! I listened to a gal last night on a blog talk about how we always want more. No matter how much money we have, we think we need the NEXT best thing. We are always searching for things out of our grasp. Maybe we should try finding that value in something other than monetary things. Does Savannah need to be the best dressed girl at school? Do I need to have the coolest car in pick up line? Does our family need to take big extravagant vacations? HECK NO! What is that going to accomplish? What is that going to teach our children? I need to teach them how to give back. I want my children/family to be known for being giving and selfless and lovers of Christ. I want people to look at us and say, "Man, they have it together. They are truly blessed." And when they say "blessed," they mean blessed by the riches we have gained through loving Christ and giving back to others, not because of a big house or huge diamond on my finger. How do I accomplish that goal? How do I find peace with what we have and not feel the need to live up to someone else's standards? I mean, the real answer is, if these Jones families or friends do not like us because we cannot keep up with them, then they are not the kind of friends we need anyway. I want to find ways to give more of myself and my money. The more I save, the more I have to do that.

Hold me accountable friends....hold me accountable....

2 comments:

  1. Love it! Way to be bold! Keep your eyes on Him and ALL things will be added on to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really wonderful attitude!! That's the way to make the world a better place and make changes for the next generation - teach your children to love and give and to see the INNER beauty in others...It's not about what you have, it's about what you give....

    ReplyDelete